Otsego I sch - Historia

Otsego I sch - Historia


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


Otsegon kaupunki

Maalauksellinen, viehättävä Otsegon kaupunki sijaitsee Columbian kreivikunnan keskustassa, Wisconsinissa. Kaupungin maaseutu on tasapainossa viljelymaisemien ja luonnon alueiden kanssa, jotka ovat täynnä villieläimiä. Alueen asukkailla ja vierailijoilla on myös helppo pääsy lähikylien ja kaupunkien palveluihin valtatien 16 ja hyvien maakuntien ja kaupunkien teiden kautta.

Toisin kuin monet muut alueen kunnat, Otsegon yhtiöittämätön yhteisö sijaitsee itse asiassa Otsegon kaupungissa. Tässä viehättävässä yhteisössä asuu useita perheitä, Otsegon kaupungintalo, Otsego Yacht Club (ravintola) ja useita esimerkkejä Wisconsinin maaseudusta parhaimmillaan.

Otsego Townshipin viljelijäyhteisö, joka tunnettiin aikoinaan "leipäkorina", tuottaa viljaa ja luonnonkauneutta, josta Wisconsinin alueemme on tunnettu. Sekoitus viljeltyjä kasveja ja maatiloja täyttää viehättävän maaseudun. Asukkaat ja vierailijat kiehtovat alueen miellyttävää estetiikkaa.

Otsegon kaupungissa on useita luontoalueita urheilutoimintaan, mukaan lukien metsästys, pyöräily, telttailu, moottorikelkkailu ja kotimaisten lehtien ja eläinten katselu. Grassy Lake Wildlife Area, jossa on ylämäkiä, metsäalueita ja vesiympäristöä, jotka sijaitsevat lähellä Otsegon kaupungin keskustaa ja Audubon Society of Madison ovat vain muutamia Otsegon alueista, jotka houkuttelevat monia luontoharrastajia. Tämä Otsegon kaupungin kartta osoittaa, kuinka monimuotoinen se on.

Otsegon kaupungintalo

Ruohoinen järvi Otsegon kaupungissa


Tulevat päivämäärät

12. - EI KOULUA, Opettajan ammatillinen kehitys

12. päivä - Seniori -ilta kaikille talviurheilulajeille, pep -bändin jäsenille ja cheerleadereille

15. päivä - EI KOULUA, presidenttien päivä

4. - Music Boosters Fish Fry

5. - FCCLA -kilpailu PENTAlla

8. - Winter Athletic Awards

9. - Piirin johtoryhmä Mtg.

10. - Maumee/BG Elks Kuukauden opiskelijalounas

11. - OMEA -bändi- ja amp -kuorokilpailu

16. - 2 tunnin viive - henkilöstön ammattitaitoinen palvelu

16. - Ilmainen illallisteatteri - 5:45 HS Commons

22. päivä - Opetushallituksen kokous, klo 18 HS -kirjasto

25. - kevätloman ensimmäinen päivä - EI KOULUA

20. - 2 tunnin viive - henkilöstön ammattitaitoinen palvelu

22. - Otsego Endowment Foundation -säätiön käänteisarvonta

26. päivä - opetuslautakunnan kokous, klo 18 HS -kirjasto

29. päivä - kuoromatka Chicagoon (29. huhtikuuta - 1. toukokuuta)

10. - Lukion akateemiset palkintojenjakotilaisuudet, klo 19 Lukion auditorio

11. - 2 tunnin viive - henkilöstön ammattitaitoinen palvelu

19. - HS -kuorokonsertti, klo 19 HS -auditorio

23. - HS -bändikonsertti, klo 19 HS -auditorio

24. - Opetushallituksen kokous, klo 18 HS -kirjasto

27. päivä - tenttipäivä #3, varhainen irtisanominen


Historiallinen Otsego Lake Township

Otsego Lake Village perustettiin vuonna 1872 ja sisällytettiin vuonna 1875, joka sijaitsee Otsego -järven eteläkärjessä. Kylän todettiin olleen entinen läänin pääkonttori, joka sijaitsee Mancelonaan ja Elk Rapidsiin johtavalla Old State Roadilla.

Ennen Otsegon järvikylän asutusta, noin vuonna 1851, nuori yrittäjä David Ward luopui uraansa maanmittarina, puutavaranhakijana ja koulunopettajana tullakseen varhaiseksi puuparuniksi ja alkoi kaataa valtavia tuhansia hehtaareja mäntyä puutavaraa, johon hän oli vedonnut. Osana löytöjään, vuonna 1854, sanottiin, että hän oli löytänyt Cork Pinen suurimman osaston Michiganista.

Vuoteen 1877 mennessä kylä oli perustettu, autio ja perustettu uudelleen kolme kertaa. Nimet muuttuivat alun perin Bradfordista tai Bradford Lakesta, lopulta Watersiksi. Tuolloin Wright-Wells Lumber Co tuli kaupunkiin. Tehtaidensa ansiosta suuren tavaratalon ja hotellin rakentaminen, 75 asukkaan kylä, alkoi kasvaa. Seuraavat 10 vuotta osoittivat valtavaa kasvua ja Watersista tuli vilkas kaupunki. Kuitenkin, kun suuri puu oli korjattu, asukkaat muuttivat pohjoiseen tehtaiden kanssa ja vuoteen 1890 mennessä oli jäljellä vain yksi myymälä ja posti.

Henry Stephens, Sr., aiemmin St. Vuoteen 1905 mennessä väestö nousi yli 300: een, mutta väheni noin 50: een vuoteen 1912 mennessä.

Kun jäljellä oleva puu oli poistettu alueelta, Henry Stephans 1, Jr. päätti valmistaa Watersin
vakituinen asuinpaikka maailmanlaajuisten matkojensa välillä. Kun hänen isänsä kuoli vuonna 1884, Henry Stephans, Jr., peri isänsä metsän omaisuuden, jonka ansiosta hän pystyi rakentamaan suuren kaksikerroksisen runkorakennuksen tontinsa taakse yhdessä useiden muiden rakennusten kanssa, mukaan lukien suuri maitotalli . Vuonna 1914 hän käsitteli lasipullo-aidan käsityksen muistomerkiksi menneiden puutavaran aikakaudella koville juoville.

Stephans tarjosi paikallisille lapsille penniäkään pulloa varten ja palkkasi sementtiurakoitsijan aidan pystyttämiseen. Aidan työ eteni pullojen mukaan. Haluaessaan ansaita rahaa projektista Waters -lapset ryöstivät sukulaisiaan? ruokakomeroihin, purkitettuihin purkkipurkkeihin ja pulloihin ja luultavasti tyhjensivät isänsä nestemäisen virvokkeen välimuistin aidassa käytetyn viskin ja olutpullojen määrän mukaan. Vanhat ajastimet kertovat pojista, jotka myivät pulloja Stephansille päivällä ja hiipivät takaisin yöllä tutkimaan tarjontaa ja myivät ne sitten hänelle seuraavana päivänä. Kaikki pitivät Stephansista hyvin ja osti samat pullot uudestaan ​​nauraen.

Valmistuttuaan aita, jossa oli takorautaportti keskellä, ulottui kahteen kortteliin ja rajoitti pääkatua, josta tuli lopulta US-27. Olkapään korkea aita, päällystetty betonilaatoilla, viimeistettiin sitten kahden jalan korkeilla kirjaimilla, jotka kirjoittivat omistajan nimen. HENRY STEPHANS.

Stephans lähti Watersista noin vuonna 1917 huonossa kunnossa. Lyhyessä ajassa kylä, joka peitti kerran 40 hehtaarin alueen ja jossa oli useita katuja, joissa oli liiketiloja ja koteja, muuttui jälleen autioksi.

Vuonna 1927 rouva Edna Schotte, Watersin matriarkka ja postimestari vuosina 1930–1946, ja hänen edesmennyt aviomiehensä osti 1800 hehtaarin kylän. Schotten perustettiin uudelleen posti ja kun viina laillistettiin vuonna 1936, rouva Schotte ja hänen miehensä saivat maakunnassa ensimmäisenä tavernaluvan. He rakensivat "Glass Bottle Fence Gardens" tavernan. Vuonna 1970 tämä vanha maamerkki joutui tulipalon uhriksi. Kun vanha varikko tuhottiin, puutavara ja varasto harjoittivat liiketoimintaa alueella. Rouva Schotte sanoi, että he perustivat sahan järvelle, jossa he pelasivat satoja kuolleita päitä (upotettuja tukkeja) ja tekivät niistä puutavaraa.

1920 -luvun alussa Heart Lake Club, joukko maaspekulaattoreita, osti vanhan Stephansin meijerilato kaupungin laidalta ja muutti sen hotelliksi, loungeksi ja ruokasaliksi. Yritys suljettiin laman aikana ja oli tyhjillään useita vuosia. Kun turistipuomi alkoi 1940 -luvulla, hotelli avattiin uudelleen nimellä "Wassir Hoff" ja tuli tunnetuksi koko maassa.

Vanhan pullon aidan huonontuessa ilkivallan vuoksi ja kaupungin ohittaneen moottoritien rakentamisen myötä alueen matkailu väheni, mikä osoittaa sen, että vanha hotelli seisoi jälleen tyhjillään useita vuosia, kunnes se ostettiin ja avattiin vuoden 1970 loppuun yrityksille.

Jälleenrakennuksen aikana hotelli joutui epäiltyjen johdotusongelmien uhriksi, ja se tuhoutui täysin tulipalossa vuonna 1972. Waters Innin (vanha meijerilato), antiikkisten urkujen ja käsipumppupalovaunun menetys oli myös joidenkin menetys. paikallisesta historiasta.

Vuonna 1935 vanha Stephan -koti, joka oli silloin Harley Kennedyn käytössä, tuhoutui tulipalossa. Useimmat muut rakennukset kärsivät samasta kohtalosta vuosien varrella.

Nykyään alueella on monia lomakohteita, ja jälleen kerran kylässä on noin kymmenkunta liikepaikkaa. Rouva Schotte lahjoitti vanhan Stephan -kodin ja lasipullon aidan Otsego Lake Townshipille käytettäväksi palohallina ja yhteisön rakennuksena sillä ehdolla, että vanha pullon aita kunnostetaan. Valitettavasti pullon aita oli niin huonossa kunnossa, että sitä ei pidetty korjattavana. Kuitenkin historian säilyttämiseksi kaupunki loi historiallisen esityksen, joka sijaitsee kaupungintalolla.

1 Nimi Stephens sisälsi useita oikeinkirjoituksia. Henry, Sr. käyttää Stephens? alkuperäinen kirjoitusasu. Vanha
ajastimet ja asukkaat kirjoittivat usein sen? Stevens? ja Henry Jr. Stephans ?.

2 Nimi Stephens sisälsi useita oikeinkirjoituksia. Henry, vanhempi, käytti alkuperäistä oikeinkirjoitusta "Stephens". Vanha
ajastimet ja asukkaat kirjoittivat sen usein "Stevensiksi" ja Henry Jr. "Stephansiksi".

& kopioi 2018 Otsego Lake Township, MI 989.732.6929 10584 Old 27 south, Otsego Lake Township, MI 49797


Otsego I sch - Historia

Kirjoitettu ja muokattu
Kirjailija Sandy Goodspeed

Muistoja Harvey BAKERista.
Historiallinen luonnos "BARN HILL".

Barn Hill, kauan ennen kuin valkoinen mies näki Empire -osavaltion, tai sillä oli nimi ja määritetty paikka Uudessa -Alankomaassa, oli irokoisien intiaanien miehittämä, ja se oli heidän merkittävimmän "Susquehannan omaisuutensa" joukossa. New Yorkin maakunnan muodostamisen jälkeen se sijaitsi provinssissa Albanyn piirikunnan osana. Vanhan Ranskan sodan päätyttyä ja ennen Amerikan vallankumouksen päiviä se sijaitsi Tryonin läänissä. Vuoden 1784 sodan päätyttyä läänin nimi muutettiin Montgomeryksi, ja vuonna 1788 se oli Otsegon kaupungissa kyseisessä läänissä. Vuonna 1791, kun Otsegon lääni muodostettiin, Barn Hill oli Unadillan kaupungissa uudessa läänissä. Otegon ja Suffragen kaupungit muodostettiin vuonna 1796, ja Barn Hill oli sitten jälkimmäisen kaupungin eteläosassa. Vuonna 1801 nimi Suffrage muutettiin Milfordiksi, ja vuonna 1817, kun posti perustettiin ja nimettiin, se oli Milfordvillen kylässä, joka oli ensimmäinen virallisesti määritelty paikkakunta. Vuonna 1830 Oneontan kaupunki muodostettiin osavaltion lainsäädännöllä, ja Barn Hill oli silloin, kuten nyt, lähellä kaupungin eteläistä keskirajaa ja lähellä uuden nimisen kylän keskellä.

Sen tarkka sijainti on lähes etelään Main- ja Chestnut-katujen risteyksestä ja aivan Albanyn ja Susquehannan rautatien eteläsuunnassa ja kaukana noin kahdeksankymmentäkaksi kilometriä länteen Albanystä ja kuusikymmentäyksi kilometriä itään Binghamtonista. Barn Hill oli alun perin pitkänomainen mäki, jonka korkeus oli noin 30 jalkaa sen ympäristön yläpuolella, ja muinaisina aikoina se käsitti noin kolmen hehtaarin maa -alueen. Sen yläosa oli vaakasuora ja se oli selvä puista tai jopa pensaista, kun valkoiset miehet näkivät sen ensimmäisen kerran, vaikka sitä ympäröi ikivihreä metsä, jossa oli suuria puita, tiheitä lehtiä ja korkea korkeus.

Sen pohjois-, itä- ja länsipuolella sitä ympäröi läpäisemätön suo, ja läheltä sen pohjaa etelässä virtaa Silver -puro -niminen puro, joka tuotti voiman ensimmäiselle kaupungin rajoille pystytetylle tehtaalle.

Mäkeä yhdisti luoteisosassa sijaitseva ylänkö harjanne, joka kulki eräänlaisena ajoradana kahden pohjoisen ja länsisen soiden välillä ja muodosti myös reitin pääkadulta alas tulevalle intialaiselle polulle. Reitti kulki läheltä Barn Hillin länsipohjaa ja kulki sitten länteen ja etelään Silver Creekin länsirantaa pitkin, missä sen kirkkaat, kylmät vedet liittyivät Susquehannaan.

Ennen nimetty harjanne kulki melkein suoraan siitä, missä rautatie on nyt, ja se poistettiin, kun tämä työ rakennettiin. Tämä harju muodosti myös helpon kulun Barn Hillin huipulle, sekä kävellen että joukkueiden kanssa, ja se oli monien vuosien ajan keino tunkeutua ja nousta huomattavan korkeuden huipulle. Se sai nimen "Barn Hill" siitä, että vuosia sitten William ANGEL, Oneontan tienraivaaja ja huomattavan taitava puuseppä, pystytti sille navetan.

Ennen sitä korkeutta kutsuttiin Intian kukkulaksi siitä syystä, että Kuusi Kansakuntaa oli pitkään tottunut käyttämään sitä neuvostoliittolaisena ja näköalapaikkana.

Näitä perinteitä vahvistaa se, että kukkulan huipulta on nyt nähtävissä intialaisten hedelmätarhojen alue ja Wauteghen intialainen kylä, aivan Otegon puron itäpuolella, ja myös intialainen Onahrictonin kylä. vain länsipuolella "Adiguatangue" tai Charlotte -puro, jonka tarkka sijainti selvisi oikein kaupunkitutkijamme WE YAGERin suorittamilla tutkimuksilla.

Tämä korkealla kukkulalla oleva mäki, siitä lähtien kun uudisasukkaat alkoivat muodostaa kylää sen läheisyydessä, on täyttänyt tärkeän kaivan kylän historiassa. Se oli paikka urheiluurheilulle, quoitsille, pallopeleille, painiotteluille ja jalkakilpailuille. Se oli paikka kokkoille ja ampumateoksille. Se oli ensimmäinen ja ainoa paikka, jota käytettiin tykkien kukoistamiseen ilmoittamalla kaikkien tärkeiden tapahtumien onnistumisesta. Täällä kaikuivat aseet, jotka ammuttiin Erien kanavan avaamisen vuonna 1825 kunnianosoituksen ja rautateiden peruskirjan läpäisemiseksi kunnassamme ja osavaltiossamme, vapaan äänioikeuden voitosta, ilmaisista kouluista ja kaikista tärkeistä julkisista toimenpiteistä maamme varhainen yhteiskunnallinen ja sosiaalinen edistyminen.

McDONALDista tuli varhain tämän ikimuistoisen kukkulan ja sen lähialueiden omistajat. Muutamia vuosia myöhemmin William ANGEL, yksi Oneontan julkisten parannusten edelläkävijöistä, hankki tämän halutun kukkulan ja oli jo muutaman vuoden hallussaan ja pystytti sille navetan, joka tunnettiin silloin, kuten aiemmin todettiin, Barn Hilliksi ja ensin Indian Hilliksi. Sitä kutsuttiin aikoinaan "Karunmäeksi", koska sillä ei kasvanut puu tai pensas. Se oli vain vähäinen äänen muutos "karuista" "latoiksi".

Vuosikymmenellä 1820 herra Angel vei navetan alas ja siirsi sen mekaanikon ja pääkadun kulmaan. Kirjailija on itse siirtänyt osan vanhoista säätiöpuista ja osa niistä on edelleen jäljellä. Kun Sylvester FORD, Eliakim R.FORDin isä, osti paikan, joka tunnetaan nykyään PETERS -paikkana, navetta siirrettiin COLLIER & GOODYEARin alueelle, lähellä Fairview -kadun nykyistä paikkaa ja vuonna 1842, Collier & Goodyear, tämä navetta tuli herra Fordin haltuun. Myöhemmin se siirtyi Mr. Goodyearilta PETERSin omistukseen.

Vanha intialainen polku kulki kukkulan länsipuolella, ja tänään (23. heinäkuuta 1895) näin viemärikaivauksissa yhden intiaanien keräämän kivipaalun pohjan. Toinen ja suurempi kasa oli suoraan kukkulan lounaiskulmassa ja juuri itään koilliskulmasta vanha talo, jonka M. N. ELWELL repi noin kaksi vuotta sitten. Tämä kivikasa poistettiin vuonna 1842 ja sitä käytettiin korjaamaan sahalaitosta, joka sitten oli alkanut muodostaa murtuman. Suuri keltainen paju, joka nyt seisoo uuden myllyn lähellä, nousi yhdestä useista haaroista, jotka oli ajettu sisään tällä käännöksellä vahvistaakseen pengerrystä.

Tänään (27. heinäkuuta) viemärin kaivamiseen liittyvät työläiset paljasivat vanhan myllypaton pohjan yhdeksän tai kymmenen jalan syvyydeltä ja muutaman sauvan eteläpuolella höyrystä ja telineestä, joka kuljetti vettä ensimmäiselle hiekkamyllylle myös McDONALDien pystyttämät, paljastettiin. Vesivoima sahan, McDonaldsin ensimmäisenä pystyttämän vaatetustyön ja hiekkamyllyn toimittamiseksi oli kaikki Silver Creekin kalustamaa, ja kesti useita vuosia ennen kuin joki sai vettä tällaiseen käyttöön.

Intialaisista kivikasoista puhuttaessa on mainittava, että intiaaneilla oli tapana merkitä polkujaan pienillä kivikasoilla, ja jokainen intialainen ohimennen lisäsi yhden kasaan heidän kulkiessaan ohi.

Toukokuussa 1841 vanha McDonald -saha korjattiin. Vuonna 1843 revitin sen ja rakensin sen, joka poistettiin muutama vuosi sitten. Näiden myllyjen paikat on nyt haudattu Barn Hillin maan alle.

Tämän mäen ja myllyn kiinteistön osti Peter COLLIER ja Jared GOODYEAR James McDONALDista vuonna 1829, ja tästä päivästä nykyiseen kevääseen suurimman osan kiinteistön otsikkoa ei muutettu, kuusikymmentä vuotta on pitkä aika maille, jotka ovat sydämessä Oneontan omistusoikeus tai todellinen hallussapito. Vuosina 1842–1850 olin puoliksi tehtaan kiinteistön omistaja, mutta Barn Hill ei kuulunut kauppaan.

Olen todennut, että tykkien kukoistava maaperä oli ollut Barn Hillillä lähes koko vuosisadan. Näiden vuosien aikana kyseisessä vaarallisessa liiketoiminnassa on tapahtunut kaksi huomionarvoista onnettomuutta. 18. toukokuuta 1842 illalla läheiset nuoret miehet tapasivat kukoistavalla kentällä kokeillakseen uutta tykkiä. Heidän joukossaan oli Roe, James McDONALDin nuorin poika. Hän työskenteli "Oneonta Weekly Journal" -lehden toimistossa, jonka sitten julkaisi William J. KNAPP, Roen sisaren poika. Roe iski jollain tavalla tykin purkautumiseen ja hänen jalkansa liha polvesta lonkkaan puhallettiin tai irrotettiin luuhun. Tohtori HAMILTON ja tohtori S. H. CASE pukeivat raajansa, ja hänet vietiin varovasti kotiinsa, vanhaan McDonald -taloon Main- ja River -katujen pohjan kulmassa. Viikkojen ajan nämä lääkärit yhdessä peittivät haavan päivittäin, heidän huolenpito ja tarkkaavainen hoitotyö toivat Roen hitaasti mutta varmasti kuolemasta elämään. Syyskuun lopulla uhri pääsi liikkumaan huoneessa ja pihalla. Näiden pitkien lämpimien kesäkuukausien aikana Edgar REYNOLDS (John REYNOLDSin vanhin poika ja kaupunkilaisen veljen George REYNOLDS Grand Streetin veli) oli kärsivän pojan vakituinen hoitaja ja sairaanhoitaja, ja epäilemättä tämä hoito auttoi sen täysipainoisesti kohti lopullista toipumista. Edgar Reynoldsia parempi tai ystävällisempi mies ei koskaan elänyt.

Nuori McDonald toipui ja jatkoi sen jälkeen kymmenen vuoden ajan kirjoittamista, ja lopulta 22. kesäkuuta 1852 hän kuoli äitinsä kotona Oneontassa. Hänen jäänteensä lepäävät nyt perheen tontilla Riversiden hautausmaalla.

4. heinäkuuta 1872 Barn Hillissä tapahtui toinen onnettomuus. Se oli päivä, joka mainittiin yhtenä teelahjojen myynnistä, clambakeista ja erilaisista urheilulajeista. Kenraali S.S. Kun Peter R.GREEN oli tekemässä patruunaa aseen kanssa, lataus räjähti ja puhalsi kirjaimellisesti käsivarren nuoren miehen olkapäältä. Suuri kuin shokki, hän selviytyi ja elää edelleen, ja hänellä on oikeudenmukainen lupaus vielä monien vuosien käyttöiästä. Tämän onnettomuuden jälkeen valtio kutsui aseen. Roea haavoittanutta tykkiä ei koskaan nähty toukokuun 1842 muistopäivän jälkeen. Epäilemättä se lepää yhdessä läheisistä suoista, joihin joku luotti sen tulevaisuuden turvallisuuteen.

Lyhyen ajan kuluttua Barn Hill, sen perinteet, muistot, tapahtumat ja onnettomuudet, luetaan menneisyyteen. Parannusten marssi on päättänyt kohtalonsa, mutta sen parhaat käyttöpäivät ovat epäilemättä tulevaisuudessa. Sen menneisyys on vain historiaa. Sen tulevaisuus on edistymisen ja suuren kehityksen avaaminen, ja se täyttää osittain ainakin tuhannen vuoden ennustuksen, jolloin jokainen laakso korotetaan ja kukkula lasketaan alas.

Oneontan miliisin ennätys vaatii vain lyhyen luvun. Ensimmäinen tällainen ennätys, joka löytyi kenraali -adjutanttitoimistosta, joka on lähellä paikkakuntaamme, on vuodelta 1806. Tuolloin Mathew CULLY Milfordista tehtiin everstiluutnantiksi kuudennessa rykmentissä ja Alfred CRAFTS Otegosta, nykyään Laurens, tehtiin. kapteeni. Kaksi toimeksiantoa on päivätty 19. maaliskuuta 1806.

John McDONALDin toimeksianto jalkaväkikomppanian kapteenina, joka oli ensimmäinen tähän kaupunkiin muodostettu joukkojen joukko, kantaa päivämäärän 29. helmikuuta 1812. Joseph MUMFORD Milfordista oli everstiluutnantti. Yhtiön vuoden 1928 luettelossa on Eliakim R. FORD, jonka kapteeni, David MARVIN -luutnantti ja Jacob NEWKIRK -komentaja. Tämä rulla on alle päivämäärän 1. syyskuuta 1828 ja se on kapteeni E. R. Fordin käsialalla. John M. WATKINS oli ensimmäinen kersantti, William SMITH toinen kersantti, Leander McDONALD kolmas kersantti ja Clark W. BAKER neljäs kersantti. Kirjassa on neljäkymmentäyksi nimeä upseereita ja yksityishenkilöitä. Vuoden 1831 rulla näyttää David MARVINin kapteenina ja John M. WATKINS: n komentajana. Tämä rulla sisältää viisikymmentäkahdeksan nimeä, jotka osallistuvat harjoitukseen 4. syyskuuta 1831. John M. Watkins oli yhtiön kapteeni tähän päivään 25. elokuuta 1832 alkaen. Mutta kuvernööri WL MARCY ja kenraali-adjutantti John A. , 5. tammikuuta 1833. Syyskuun 3. päivän 1832 rulla sisältää kahdeksankymmentäkahdeksan nimeä, joista kuusikymmentäkolme oli läsnä harjoituksessa. Luettelossa on useimpien alueen vanhojen kansalaisten nimet. Jacob MORRELL ja Sylvanus SMITH olivat viiden vuoden ikäisiä. Jacob HILLSINGER ja Henry SMITH olivat rumpalia. Yksityishenkilöiden joukosta löydämme John CUTSHAWin, Levi TARBOXin, Abram BLENDin, Aaron FORDin, Joseph ja James FERNin, Henry YAGERin, Davidin ja Daniel SULLIVANin, Frederick BORNTin nimet monien muiden tuttujen nimien ja tämän alueen vanhojen kansalaisten lisäksi. Joseph WALLING oli ensimmäinen kersantti, John D. YAGER toinen, Harvey CARPENTER kolmas ja Peter YAGER neljäs. Solomon YAGER oli ensimmäinen kapraali, Chauncey M. BREWER toinen, Oliver McDONALD kolmas ja David YAGER, jr., Neljäs. Vuonna 1834 John M. WATKINS erosi tehtävästään ja sai vastuuvapauden.

Tämä osoittaa riittävän hyvin Oneontan miliisin aseman ja aseman tuolloin. Se osoittaa myös, että sen komentajat saivat tuolloin tehtävänsä suhteellisen nuoria miehiä. John McDONALD nimitettiin kapteeniksi 27 -vuotiaana. Hän oli James McDONALDin vanhin poika, ja hän oli hyväkuntoinen mies, hyvin koulutettu aikoja varten. Rouva John M. WATKINS ja rouva Andrew G. SHAW olivat hänen tyttärensä. Hän syntyi vuonna 1825.

John M. WATKINS syntyi vuonna 1806. Hänet nimitettiin kapteeniksi 26 -vuotiaana. Hänen asuinpaikkansa oli tässä kaupungissa syntymästään kuolemaansa lukuun ottamatta muutamia vuosia, jotka hän vietti kauppiaiden hotellissa Albanyssa. Hän kuoli 25. huhtikuuta 1890 ollessaan 84 -vuotias.

Kolmas erillinen yhtiö perustettiin 5. elokuuta 1875 Henry G.WOODin kapteenina. Kapteeni Woodin toimeksiannossa on päivämäärä 26. heinäkuuta 1875. Yleinen määräys yrityksen järjestämisestä annettiin 10. elokuuta 1875, Franklin TOWNSEND, kenraali -adjutantti. Sen järjestössä oli 103 jäsentä, mukaan lukien upseerit ja yksityishenkilöt. Sen ensimmäiset upseerit olivat miehiä, jotka olivat ansainneet mainetta suuressa kapinan sodassa. Kapteeni Wood oli kenraali CUSTONin ja SHERIDANin upseeri ratsuväessä. Hän oli kykenevä ja pätevä upseeri, joka tunsi hyvin sotilaalliset taktiikat ja myös siviiliasioissa yksityiskansalaisena. Sotilasyhtiön ensimmäinen luutnantti oli William H. MORRIS, toinen Nathan HEMSTREET. Pelkästään Kolmannen erillisen yhtiön kolmen ensimmäisen upseerin nimet riittävät yksin sen menestyksen takaamiseksi.

Tämä yritys oli siinä määrin herättänyt yleisön luottamusta siihen, että vuonna 1885, torstaina, 18. päivänä kesäkuuta, asetettiin valtion asevaraston kulmakivi ja työ valmistui sinä vuonna. Oneontan julkiset ihmiset olivat yksityisellä tilauksella ostaneet sivuston aseistukselle ja toimittaneet sen valtiolle. Tuloksena oli pystytetty ja ylläpidetty valtion asehuone, harjoitushuone ja ammuntahalli, jotka ovat yhtä kunnia valtiolle ja myös Oneontan kylälle. Rakennus on näkyvällä paikalla Fairview -kadun pohjoispuolella, pisteessä, jossa se on tasaisessa näkymässä kaikesta matkasta D. & H. -rautatien linjalla sekä julkisilta valtateiltä, ​​jotka lähestyvät kylä. Kapteeni Walter SCOTT oli kolmannen erillisen yhtiön toinen komentaja. Hänen toimeksiantonsa on päivätty 28. syyskuuta 1886. Kapteeni Scottin komennossa ja pätevässä johdossa yhtiö ei menettänyt arvovaltaansa tai korkeaa moraalista ja sotilaallista asemaansa.

Kapteeni Scott erosi vuonna 1898, jolloin hänet nimitettiin valtionvartion ensimmäisen rykmentin majuriksi. Hänen seuraajakseen tuli Ursil A. FERGUSON, jonka komennossa yritys palveli Espanjan ja Amerikan sodan aikana. Kapteeni Ferguson piti komennon 22. marraskuuta 1905, jolloin hän erosi. Kolmannen erillisyksikön, joka tunnetaan nyt nimellä yritys G, poissaolon aikana järjestettiin väliaikainen yhtiö, joka yhtiön G paluun jälkeen lakkautettiin. Tämä yritys tunnettiin 103. erillisenä yrityksenä, ja komentajana toimi Douglas W.MILLER.

BAIRD BLOCKIN SIVUSTO.

Ennen vallankumousta varhaisten uudisasukkaiden perinteet nimeävät Baird -korttelin paikan intialaisen wigwamin sijainniksi. Vanha intialainen polku kulki sen eteläpuolella, lähes siellä, missä pääkatu on nyt. Tämän kulman ja STANTON -korttelin kulman ja Chestnut -kadun alueiden välissä oli korkea mäki tai harju, jonka eteläpuolella oli jyrkkä pankki ja jonka pohjoispuolella oli kapea, mutta lähes läpäisemätön suo. Suo ulottui läheltä vanhaa LINDSAY -taloa länsipäässään jonkin verran Stantonin korttelin yläpuolelle, sen koillispäähän. Polun vastakkaisella tai eteläpuolella, rannan juurella, alkoi varsin suuri suo, joka ulottui vanhasta joesta, varren itäpuolella olevalla kukkulalla ja sisälsi kaikki tasaiset maat, jotka sijaitsevat pääkadun eteläpuolella ja myllykilpailun pohjoispuolella. Puro, joka nyt tunnetaan nimellä Silver Creek, kääritti mutkittelevan kurssinsa suon läpi ja löysi purkauksen joesta samasta paikasta ja samasta kanavasta kuin nykyään myllylammen jätevesi ja ylävirran virtaus Pääkadun viemäri.

Milloin alkuperäinen metsä raivattiin tästä erästä, perinne ei kerro. Paikalla oli varhain vanha hirsitalo, ja entisen metsän kannot olivat silloin kokonaan kadonneet. Tässä vanhassa talossa asuivat Dietz -kadun David MORRELLin vanhemmat. Hän syntyi tuossa vanhassa hirsitalossa 15. huhtikuuta 1806, ja siellä hän vietti lapsuutensa alkuvuosia. Nämä tosiseikat kertoi herra Morrell itse.

Kuten yllä mainittu suolla oli kaikki tämän maanharjan ja joen välinen tila, tietysti valkoisen miehen ensimmäinen tie täytyi ottaa entisen intialaisen polun linjan. Tämä on melkein ratkaiseva todiste siitä, että tämä maa oli raivattu ja miehitetty ennen vallankumousta, koska tiedämme, että Oneontalla oli paljon asukkaita ennen tuota sotaa. Siitä, että talo oli vanha ja rappeutunut Morrellin syntymän aikaan, todistaa lisäksi se tosiasia, että se purettiin ja muut pystytettiin paikalle ennen vuotta 1815. Tuolloin päivämäärään asti rakennettiin pieni runkorakennus jokaiseen etu- tai päälinjaan tontin kadunkulma. Sen lounaiskulmassa sijaitsevassa nurkassa oli myöhemmin rouva DeWitt FORDin isä David FAIRCHILD ja vastapäätä tai lounaiskulmassa William KNAPP.

Seuraava korttelin paikalle pystytetty rakennus oli tarina ja puolitalo, jonka rakensi SMITH & COUSE -niminen yritys. Liiketoiminnan komplikaatiot hajottivat tämän yrityksen, ja kiinteistö siirtyi William ANGELLin haltuun. Rakennus muodosti hotellin vanhimman osan. Se oli erittäin hyvä rakennus noihin päiviin. Edmund MEIGS, noin 1833, osti herra Angellin talon ja erän ja otti sen välittömästi haltuunsa. Hän osti myös maatilan, joka käsitti suurimman osan kylän kolmannen osaston luoteisosassa olevista maista. Nämä viljelysmaat omistivat myöhemmin Enoch COPLEY ja myöhemmin Solon HUNTINGTON. Rouva tohtori S.H. CASE oli herra MEIGSin tytär, ja hänen avioliittonsa juhlittiin talon lounaisosassa, silloin se oli etuhuone. Seremonia suoritettiin 20. elokuuta 1834. Myöhemmin toinen herra Meigsin tytär meni naimisiin samassa huoneessa.

Muutaman vuoden kuluttua kiinteistö siirtyi jälleen William ANGELLin hallintaan ja häneltä Elijah KINGille, ja myöhemmin Roderick J.: n ja Carlton EMMONSin haltuun. He avasivat ja pitivät ensimmäisen hotellin tiloissa. Tämä oli noin vuoden 1830 pimeän vuosikymmenen puolivälissä. He pitivät sitä julkisena talona vuoden tai kaksi, ja heitä seurasi mies nimeltä GRISWOLD, joka myös piti julkista taloa. Sen seuraava matkustaja oli Elihu BROWN. Hän muutti siihen noin vuonna 1837 tai 1838. Hän jatkoi hotellitoimintaa kevääseen 1841 saakka, jolloin se siirtyi Alfred POTTERin käsiin. Sen nimestä oli nyt tullut "Otsegon talo", ja hotelli mainostettiin tällä nimellä Oneonta Weekly Journalissa, joka on ensimmäinen Oneontassa julkaistu lehti.

Vuonna 1841 se alkoi uudelleen FISH & GREEN -nimellä. James GREEN oli edesmenneen William RICHARDSONin vävy. Pian he alkoivat tehdä järjestelyjä sen laajentamiseksi, ja seuraavana vuonna 1843 sen korkeuteen lisättiin toinen tarina, sitä laajennettiin ja Piazza lisättiin sen pääkadulle. Pian he lakkasivat ja James Green jatkoi liiketoimintaa yksin vuoden ajan, kun hän epäonnistui ja lähti länteen.

Tämän jälkeen John M. WATKINS oli sen vuokranantaja vuoden tai kaksi, ja häntä seurasi Silas SULLIVAN. Sitten noin vuonna 1850 tuli N. & S. M. BALLARD, jota seurasi Mr. WHITE noin vuonna 1856. Sitten tuli PLACE & HUNTINGTON. Heitä seurasi vuonna 1865 PLACE & MORRIS. Sitten tuli John TICE. Joskus vuosikymmenen 1860 aikana nimi Otsego House muutettiin Susquehanna Houseksi. Seuraavaksi sen säilytti BALLARD & BOWEN. Ne liukenivat ja heidän seuraajakseen tuli S. M. BALLARD, joka jatkoi hetken ja jota seurasi W. M. POTTER. Hänen seuraajansa oli O. M. HUGHSTON. Hughstonin jälkeen tuli jälleen S. M. BALLARD, jonka kuoleman jälkeen tuli STANTON & CAMP. Ne liukenivat ja heidän seuraajakseen tuli L.A. STANTON, ja se lopulta suljettiin vuonna 1892 MARSHALL & ODEKIRKin kanssa. Luku, mukaan lukien kaksi vuokranantajaa, kun niitä johtaa yritykset, on 27 noin 57 vuodessa. Mutta laskettaessa vuokranantajia yksittäisinä yksilöinä, määrä olisi yhdeksäntoista, mikä jatkaisi keskimäärin noin kolme vuotta liiketoimintaa.

Vuosina 1807-8 James WESTCOTT oli Otegon valvoja, Oneonta oli osa. Vuosina 1809-13 Ezra ADAMS toimi esimiehenä. Vuonna 1814 ohjaajana toimi John MOORE. Vuonna 1815 John DIETZ. Vuosina 1816-17 John Moore. Vuonna 1818 John BADGER. Vuosina 1919-24 ohjaajana toimi Peter COLLIER. Vuosina 1825-26 Jacob DIETZ toimi esimiehenä. Vuosina 1827–1830 Peter COLLIER oli ohjaaja.

Vuonna 1830, 17. huhtikuuta, muodostettiin Oneontan kaupunki, joka otti siten osan kustakin Milfordin, Otegon, Huntsvillen ja Davenportin kaupungeista, ja sitä seuraavana vuonna aloitettiin oman kaupungin virkamiesten valinta. Seuraavassa on luettelo esimiehistä heidän valintajärjestyksessään ja palvelusehdoissa:

1830-3, William RICHARDSON 1834-5, William ANGELL 1836-8, Samuel BETTS, jr. 1838-9, William ANGELL 1840, Samuel H. CASE 1841, William W. SNOW 1842, Timothy SABIN 1843, Carleton EMMONS 1844-6, Eliakim R. FORD 1847, Enos S.BROWN 1848, John M.WATKINS 1849, Carleton EMMONS 1850, Jonathan BREWER 1851, Luman S. OSBORN 1852-3, Carleton EMMONS 1854, James F. DEAN 1855, David J. YAGER 1856-7, Samuel H. CASE 1858, Harvey BAKER 1859, Silas SULLIVAN 1860, Hosea A. HAMILTON 1861, John COPE, jr. 1862-3, Stephen PARISH 1964-72, John COPE, jr. 1873-4, William W. SNOW 1875, George SCRAMLING 1876-7, William H. MORRIS 1878, Walter L. BROWN 1879-80, Henry G. WOOD 1881, J. R. L. WALLING 1882-8, Walter L. BROWN 1889, DeForest WILBER 1890-9, Henry BULL 1899-03, M. C. HEMSTREET 1903---, Charles SMITH.

ONEONTA VILLAGE INCORPORATION.

The first corporation of the village of Oneonta was obtained in 1848. Application was made at the June term of the court of sessions of Otsego county, "in the matter of the incorporation of Oneonta village, in the town of Oneonta, county of Otsego, in which, upon the petition of Samuel J. COOK, Worthington WRIGHT, Collis P. HUNTINGTON, Samuel H. CASE and others, on reading and filing a surety, census, notice of application, etc., * * * on the report of Horace LATHROP, James R. ANGELL, and H. G. HARDING, dated August 15th, the county judge James HYDE" ordered that an election be held and a vote taken for or against such incorporation.

The order named the 14th day of October for such vote, and the hotel of John M. WATKINS as the place of holding such an election.

Such vote was taken and the certificate of the inspectors of such election, who were John McCRANY and E. C. HODGE, shows that "the whole number of votes given at such election was eighty-two, of which the number having thereon the word 'yes' was sixty-six and the number having thereon the word 'no' was sixteen."

Of all the eighty-two names contained in the above named poll list the following still live in Oneonta village, viz: Andrew G. SHAW, William McCRUM, Timothy D. WATKINS, and DeWitt FORD.

After a careful examination of the list, I can remember but a single voter within the corporate bounds whose name does not appear on the list. That one name is that of William H. OLIN. Why he did not vote I cannot assign an satisfactory reason, for he was the active party in obtaining the incorporation. This certified poll list becomes a part of the official incorporation papers. It was a move of much importance to our people, and my recollection is that nearly every legal voter cast his vote either for or against the measure.

The completed papers of Judge HYDE, the clerk's certificate and the map and bounds of the incorporated tract, containing 657 acres of land, all bear date of October 27th, 1848.

It will thu (sic) be seen that the affirmative vote of sixty-six of our citizens decided the question of our incorporation as an incorporated village, which was affirmed by Judge James Hyde at the date above mentioned.

Oneonta's first village election was held December 2d, 1848. The following are the names of officers elected: for trustees, Eliakim R. FORD, Hezekiah WATKINS, William BRONSON, William S. FRITTS, Samuel J. COOK assessors, John CUTSHAW, Elisha SHEPHERD, Ephraim C. HODGE village clerk, William H. OLIN treasurer, Andrew G. SHAW collector, John McCRANY poundmaster, Solon HUNTINGTON street commissioners, Collis P. HUNTINGTON, Harvey BAKER, Hosea A. HAMILTON.

The poll list of the village election shows that 28 votes were cast, and E. R. FORD was the only candidate who received the entire 28 votes. The town inspectors again acted as inspectors of this first officer election. E. R. Ford was by the trustees made the first president of Oneonta village.

William H. OLIN (the late Rev. Dr. Olin), was then a rising young lawyer in Oneonta, and on March 7th 1849, it was resolved and adopted to levy the sum of fifty-six dollars and five cents upon the taxable property within the incorporation for the purpose of paying Wm. H. Olin the necessary and proper expenses of procuring the incorporation. This resolution was indorsed by E. R. Ford, president.

We had already a fire organization and a small fire engine and C. P. HUNTINGTON was foreman of the company. I will relate an incident that occurred about 1845 or 1846. The fire company, under the command of their foreman, came down to the mill race between the saw and grist mill for practice, as was often the custom. After practicing for some time throwing water in various directions, some one proposed to try the stream on the grist mill window in its westerly gable. I was then half owner of the mill property with Messrs. COLLIER and GOODYEAR, and had it under my charge. Mr. Huntington himself had the hose pipe in hand and asked me, "Shall I try it?" "Yes, fire away, I will risk the window," was my prompt reply. No sooner said than done. The sash and glass were shattered in an instant. "Don't throw water in the mill, as I have grain there," was my immediate appeal, but the position was so oblique that scarcely any water entered it. A bin of from 100 to 150 bushels of wheat was nearly under the window but it received no damage. Mr. Huntington offered to pay me for the window, but I assured him it was my risk and not his. The quickness of its destruction was a source of much satisfaction as well as surprise to the fire company. Our townsman, William McCRUM, was one of the fire boys who had hold of the engine brake at the time. "How's the grist mill window and the bin of wheat?" was the inquiry I often heard for some weeks after the incident, when I happened to meet one of the boys. Mr. Huntington made a splendid head officer for a fire company.

The second corporation was held March 7th, 1849. The poll list is not preserved but the inspectors' list is. Eighty-three votes were cast. Eliakim R. FORD, Hezekiah WATKINS, William BRONSON, Samuel J. COOK were elected trustees. John CUTSHAW, David T. EVANS, and Ephraim HODGE were elected assessors. Hosea A. HAMILTON and Harvey BAKER were elected street commissioners. Solon HUNTINGTON, poundmaster, by eighty-three votes.

The third officer election was held March 10th, 1850. E. R. FORD, H. WATKINS, James T. WILD, S. H. CASE, and E. W. BENNETT were elected trustees. W. H. OLIN, clerk John McCRANY, collector Solon HUNTINGTON, poundmaster. On the 16th day of September, 1849, the trustees leased of Solon HUNTINGTON, "a piece of ground for the purpose of being used as a pound lot, and also a passage or driveway thereto for the said village, for the full term of twenty years in consideration of one dollar."

This pound lot was located nearly where the WINDSOR hotel barns now stand. The lease covers a full page of legal cap, and is signed and sealed by the trustees and Mr. Huntington. At a later date the first village prison or lockup was erected upon this lot. It was a structure of stone.

At the election of 1851, Eliakim R. FORD, Harvey BAKER, John T. WILD, Err W. BENNETT, and Hezekiah WATKINS were elected trustees, D. W. FORD was elected clerk, David J. YAGER, treasurer. An especial election was held April 9th, 1851, at which the following resolutions were passed:

Resolved, That the sum of fifty dollars be raised by tax in the incorporated village of Oneonta upon the taxable property therein to defray the expenses of building one or more water reservoirs in said village.

Resolved, That the sum of thirty-five dollars be raised by tax in the incorporated village of Oneonta upon the taxable property therein to defray the expense of purchasing some engine hose to be used in the extinguishing of fires.

Eighty-five dollars contrasts considerably with the thousands raised now.

At the election March 3d, 1852, Harvey BAKER, S. M. BALLARD, John McCRANY, John M. WATKINS, and William BRONSON were elected trustees A. G. SHAW clerk D. J. YAGER, treasurer E. B. SHOVE, collector S. HUNTINGTON, poundmaster. A tax of twenty- one dollars and ninety-nine cents was voted for this year.

A map of the village as incorporated in 1848 is preserved. It shows the east bounds of the village as then to be the west bounds of the Joseph WALLING farm, now the J. R. L. WALLING farm. Its west bounds are the east line of the Andrew PARISH farm, now the SCRAMLING farm. Its south bounds are the Susquehanna river. Its north bounds are the Otego patent line. This corporation continued in force until April 20th, 1970.

At that date an act was passed under the title of "An Act to incorporate the village of Oneonta, Otsego county, New York," which was passed at the date above named and Oneonta became an incorporated village by legislative enactment.

The following year, March 14th, 1871, an act was passed which extended the bounds of the corporation to their present limits, viz: the westerly line of the Conrad WOLF farm for its westerly bounds and its easterly bounds to the westerly line of the John I. COUSE farm. Its north boundary still remaining the Otego patent, and its south the Susquehanna river.

The people of Oneonta, finding the charter of 1870 unsatisfactory, in the fall of 1884 called a public meeting and appointed a committee to prepare a new charter. Harvey BAKER was by the meeting appointed chairman of such committee. The committee held many sessions and prepared the present charter with much care.

The village was divided into six wards and a trustee or alderman assigned to each ward and only two of them are annually elected so that four members of the previous board remain over each year, thus giving a majority of experienced men continually in the board. This new charter was passed by the legislature February 23, 1885, which, with some amendments, is still in force.


WELCOME to the Village of Tontogany, Ohio

We are a small town with big city amenities and a family-friendly feel. The Village owns its electrical and water distribution systems, so we can offer the best utility rates to help families grow and prosper. High speed internet, natural gas, and curbside trash removal all are available. The Village is within a short travel time to the Cities of Perrysburg and/or Bowling Green for shopping and entertainment.

The Village has two wonderful parks for families to enjoy for picnics or just for some family time.

We are the home to the Otsego school campus with its new high school and elementary school, along with a newly renovated junior high school. The school district campus offers the best in a technology learning environment, so all of our children can learn to the best of their abilities and make the Otsego community a unique place to call home.

The Village is well kept and up-to-date with its housing, street maintenance, and bridges.


HOMETOWN HISTORY: January 21, 2021

Local: The coal bill of Bissell & Yager, for the month ending January 1, amounted to nearly $5,000.
H. Sessions fell from a scaffold on his house a few days since, from which he received quite severe injuries.
E.R. Sabin, T.N. Derby and George Bond have each drawn a silver watch from prize candy packages.
We learn that L.J. Emmons and E.G. Bixby contemplate moving to Kansas during the Spring or Summer.
S.M. Ballard has sold one-half interest in the Susquehanna House to A.C. Lewis of Cooperstown, the firm hereafter to be Ballard & Lewis.
The Round House is now completed. The work was inspected Tuesday and accepted by the company. Men are now working on the water tank. In a few days everything will be in readiness
for engines to take water while standing in the stalls.

125 Years Ago

Oneonta: It is proposed to erect a new Congregational Church in the Village of Oneonta.
A special report from West Winfield, Herkimer County, says there are many severe cases of the grip (flu) in that section. One case, it is believed will be fatal. Six new cases, mostly among business men were reported last Friday.
The Susquehanna Journal warns Odd Fellows against a certain expelled member, who is travelling through the country beating lodges wherever he can.
County Medical Society – At the meeting held in Oneonta on Tuesday, an obituary article of the late Dr. George Merritt of Cherry Valley was read by Dr. J.K. Leaning. It was a merited tribute to the deceased.

80 Years Ago

When Oneonta High School’s basketball team beats Cooperstown High School’s basketball team – that can be classed as news of some little significance. But when Oneonta defeats Cooperstown 51 to 24 it creates repercussions that can be felt in every nook and cranny of the high school sporting circles of the area. It was a sad exhibition upon which a large delegation of Cooperstown fans gazed last Friday night. It was the first time that Oneonta had beaten Cooperstown since February 1, 1938 when the Redskins went down 45 to 21. And it was the worst trimming the Redskins had suffered since Binghamton Central ganged up on them in March 1939 to the tune of 65-36. Oneonta richly deserved to win. The Redskins were unable to score a single field goal in the first quarter and Oneonta led 13 to 2 and never let up. The scoring totals for Oneonta:
Drago 5 Lambros 3 Hughes 21 Wetmore 2 Cymko 10 Collier 2 House 8. Baker, Swartz and Paparteys played but did not score.

60 Years Ago

Frank M. Reardon, Assistant General Storekeeper of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad in Oneonta retired Tuesday after nearly 49 years of service. Mr. Reardon entered the employ of the D. & H. on June 22, 1912 in the Transportation Department at Fort Edward where he served as a switch tender and extra trainman. Later that same year he became a Clerk at Saratoga Springs. He was promoted to Timekeeper in the Engineering Department and assigned to Oneonta in 1917 where he became an Inspector in the same department at Worcester in 1918. Mr. Reardon was transferred to the Stores Department at Rouse’s Point in April 1918 where he served as Material Clerk. He was transferred to the Stores Department at Oneonta in June 1918 where he became “Maintenance of Way” Storekeeper. He was promoted to Division Storekeeper at Oneonta in 1935 and became Assistant General Storekeeper, Purchases and Stores Department, in October 1957 with offices in Oneonta. Mr. Reardon has been outstanding in Oneonta civic affairs and is currently President of the Fox Memorial Hospital Board, Oneonta, one of many positions and roles in numerous Oneonta organizations throughout his career.

40 Years Ago

Adirondack Mountain snows may please skiers, but for fish in mountain lakes these snows may be even more toxic than acid rain, according to preliminary research findings from Cornell University. Acid rain is precipitation polluted by large amounts of sulfur and nitrogen oxides emitted from industrial and power plants, automobiles and other man-made sources. Acid snow is its frozen counterpart. Prevailing winds carry the pollutants from large industrial areas in the Midwest to eastern North America where they mix with precipitation to form acid rain and acid snow. Scientists agree that this acid precipitation has caused substantial damage to aquatic life in New York’s Adirondack Mountain region by raising the acidity in lakes to toxic levels.

25 Years Ago

Explaining the Language of Change – Excerpts from an essay by Barbara L. Loitsch: “This is a time of historical flux, that is, a flowing out of familiar expectations and an incoming tide of change. Computers are the catalyst. This isn’t the first time a technological advance has created sweeping change. There was the industrial revolution, mass production, electrification, introduction of automobiles, and air travel, each altering whole concepts of living. Industry is finding automation and computerization more efficient and cheaper. As a result, the “hands-on” workforce is diminished by the thousands. History will one day determine if the computer age produced the advancements promised, or if society, collectively and individually found productivity and self-worth decimated – all in the name of efficiency.

10 Years Ago

When Ioxus President/CEO Mark McGough graduated from high school outside Pittsburgh, he had to make a choice: semi-pro soccer or Notre Dame.
“I always wanted to be in the Hall of Fame,” he said, although he chose South Bend, then went on for an advanced engineering degree at New Jersey Institute of Technology.
But lo and behold, there he was the other day, key in hand, doing a walkthrough of the National Soccer Hall of Fame’s former headquarters, which soon will house the innovative ultracapacitor-manufacturing company.


Disclaimer

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your California Privacy Rights (User Agreement updated 1/1/21. Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement updated 5/1/2021).

© 2021 Advance Local Media LLC. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local.

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site.


Otsego I sch - History

Otsego County, New York
History and Genealogy

Welcome to Otsego County, NY, History and Genealogy. This is is a central point of entry to independent not-for-profit web sites with historical or genealogical content. Although independent, it is affiliated with The American History and Genealogy Project. To learn more about this group, click the logo above.



Copyright 1999 Debbie Axtman and Holice B. Young

You are the 64354th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site Since March 9, 2001.


Otsego I sch - History

The History of Otsego, NY
Worchester
Pioneers

By Holice and Debbie

During the erection of the hotel, a son of Abijah Barrett ran through a bed of lime that was being slacked, and burned his legs so badly that he died.

General E. B. Bigelow was a pioneer. He was a merchant at East Worcester, postmaster a long time, owned a large farm, a brigadier-general of a regiment of infantry, and was one of the leading spirits in that part of the county. His wife was Huldah Howe. His sons were Edmund B., Wallace, Jerome, Gouverneur, and Thaddeus. One daughter (Jane) became the wife of William L. Gott, a man of considerable notoriety in later years.

On the lower side of the street was a hotel kept by Samuel Witt (after the Champions quit the hotel business), commencing in 1838, and continuing some twelve years. He removed to Carylville, kept a hotel there several years, at which place he died. His wife was Susan Caryl, a sister of Leonard Caryl, and she is still living.

Derrick Livingston kept a hotel many years, just east of the old school house. The Livingstons were quite numerous, and in 1819 Chauncey kept a hotel near Richmondville.

Still farther east, Joseph Powers kept a hotel, not far from the present railroad crossing. After his death it was continued by Chester Powers. This was quite a large family, and one of them, Ingraham, became a Baptist preacher.

After the destruction of the Bigelow hotel, and about the time the railroad was opened, D. W. Thurber bought a portion of the Warnerville seminary, and moved it to East Worcester, and erected a large hotel near the depot, nearly opposite where the old Champion hotel was located. This was kept by W. W. Babcock until 1877, when it was bout by other parties. It is the only one now kept in the place.

The next hotel west of East Worcester was kept by Captain Bela Johnson. Mr. Johnson was captain of a company in the 7 th Regiment of infantry, and company drills were held at his place, and in 1818 at a hotel kept by Nathaniel Todd, since by John P. Russ, and lately by E. F. Knapp.

In those days hotels were kept and managed differently from what they are now. Most travelers carried their own provisions teamsters had large dinner-pails, and ate their meals on bar-room tables or sitting on their wagons. The hotels were depended on for places of lodging, and barn room for their horses. Prices were low s shilling for a lodging and meals, three cents for whiskey and cigars, and three cents per horse for a baiting of hay. Often I have sat in the hotel, seeing them roast clams in the big fire-place, and listening to their stories of pioneer-life.

As long time ago as 1807 or 1808 the mail was brought from Albany, on horseback, by Joseph Webb. After a while, he drove a horse and wagon, and occasionally carried a passenger. For a great many years Mr. Elias Brooks, of Westford, was a post-rider, bringing and distributing the papers published at Cooperstown. I think he continued until about the time of the opening of the Albany and Susquehanna railroad. His route was by Middlefield, Decatur, Worcester, East Worcester, and then by the way of Calcutta street to his home.

An early settler was Isaac Caryl. Who was born in Hopkinton, Mass., April 19, 1771. His ancestors were from England, and when quite young his father, Jonathan Caryl, moved with his family to Chester, Windsor Co., Vt.

On May 29, 1792, Isaac Caryl was married by elder Aaron Leland to Susan Snell, of Chester by her he had five sons and two daughters. John, the oldest, was born at Chester, Oct. 1, 1792, Isaac, Jr., Nov. 8, 1794 Susan, Dec. 28, 1796 Leonard, March 20, 1799 Emily, April 20, 1801 Moses, Aug. 17, 1803 Joel, April 9, 1806. Susan, the mother of three children, died at Chester, Feb. 26, 1807, and a monument was erected to her memory by her sons. Her ancestry it is believed also English.

Isaac Caryl, Sr., married his second wife, Mary Barnes, born March 14, 1774. Married by Rev. Aaron Leland, aforesaid, in 1808, and moved to Sharon, Schoharie Co., N. Y. thence to Worcester about 1810, and bought the farm now occupied by William H. Ely, where he erected a distillery and carried on a large farm. His father was in the Revolutionary War with Washington until it closed was then honorably discharged. Isaac Caryl, Sr., ws highly esteemed by all who knew him. A few years before his death he moved to West Richmondville, a small village taking his name, called Carylville, when he died Sept. 17, 1843, aged seventy-two years.

John Caryl, oldest son of Isaac and Susan, lived with his father at Worcester aforesaid. He was a member of Captain Giles Kellogg s company of artillery, composed of 100 men. They all volunteered in the War of 1812 for two years, to be in active service for one year. They were called out and stationed on the Canada line, and were in the battle of Sacket s Harbor. Before leaving home he married Hannah Lampman, by whom he had five children,--two sons and three daughters,--the eldest, John G. Caryl, born May 5, 1813. He received a good common-school education, became a merchant in Worcester, aforesaid, and traded for quite a number of years. He married Christina Ann smith, daughter of Samuel Smith, of Central Bridge, Schoharie Co., N. Y. , to which place he moved, and continued a successful mercantile business and worked a small farm. He has been a number of times elected supervisor of the town of Schoharie.

Joel Cary, the second son, and his sister, Susan, are deceased. The other two daughters married and moved west.

Isaac Caryl, Jr., married and lived in Worcester and vicinity many years. He moved to the city of New York, and thence to live, where he died. His wife died before leaving New York city.

Susan, the oldest daughter of Isaac Sr., was married at Worcester, to William Gott, by whom she had three children, Isaac D., Mary D., and William S. After her first husband s decease she married Samuel Witt, by whom she had two children, John and Frances, both of them married and living in Nunda, Livingston Co., N. Y.

Leonard, the third son of Isaac and Susan, obtained by his own industry a good academic education at Chester, Windsor Co., Vt., and at the age of seventeen entered the store of Caryl & Fullerton, at Stockbridge, in said Windsor Co., Vt. As clerk, and remained as such until he became of age, when he entered into a copartnership with Dr. timothy P. Fay, under the firm-name of Fay & Caryl, buying goods in Boston, Mass. Doing a lucrative business for three or four years, he bought his partner' interest, and soon after closed business and removed to Worcester, in 1825. The year previous, in October, 1824, he married Mary, youngest daughter of the Hon. Silas Crippen. She was born at Worcester, July 29, 1800.

Leonard Caryl after his removal from Vermont to Worcester built a new store and commenced mercantile business near the residence of his father-in-law in 1825. In 1826 he purchased a store, two dwelling-houses, and other buildings in the centre of town, where he did an extensive business, not confined to Worcester only, but included the adjoining towns.

In 1841` he built the large brick building at East Worcester for a store and dwelling, at present occupied by his son-in-law, William H. Ely, the most expensive and elegant building in Worcester. The same year he was elected to the legislature by a majority of more than 1400, and in the town of 140, when the political parties were nearly balanced in town.

The year following he was elected supervisor. In 1837 he erected the hotel opposite his store, the same now occupied by George Charles as a private residence. As early as 1835, he advocated the feasibility of a railroad through the Schenevus valley as a necessary outlet for the coal of Pennsylvania, as well as the accommodation of the traveling public. At a railroad meeting of three counties at the court-house in Schoharie county he made the principal address again at Oneonta and at different points on the route year after year, besides spending much time in Albany during the sessions of the legislature, advocating and looking after the interest of his favorite projects. And it is but justice to claim for him the pioneership of this enterprise. The company took 18 and 8/100s acres of his land for the track he subscribed for fifty shares.

It was originally designed by the friends of the road that it should be owned by citizens on the line of the route and controlled by them unfortunately that plan failed.

Mr. Caryl had four daughters and one son. The eldest died when four years of age. The second, Mary Jane, married Lasell J. Hayden, of Middlefield, who was a partner of Mr. Caryl at East Worcester for a number of years, under the firm-name of Caryl & Hayden, when a dissolution took place, and Hayden removed to the city of New York and became a partner of the firm of Hurlburt, Vanvalkenburgh & Co., in the dry-goods jobbing business, until the war broke out, when the firm was dissolved. His wife died Oct. 12, 1862, leaving two sons, Lasell J. Hayden and Louis C. Hayden.

Their father died at Elizabeth, N. J., and Mr. Caryl, the grandfather of the two boys became their guardian. His third daughter married Dr. Benjamin C. Ely, son of Dr. Sumner Ely, of Middlefield aforesaid, and moved to Girard, Erie Co., Pa., is a druggist has four daughters and four sons.

His fourth daughter, Ellen, married William H. Ely, younger brother of Dr. Benjamin C. was for many years in mercantile business in Middlefield aforesaid was elected supervisor of said town for five years, sometimes without opposition moved to East Worcester in the fall of 1868, and was chosen supervisor of Worcester in 1874 was elected member of the assembly, and again in 1875.

Mr. Caryl s son, Julius Henry, was born Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, 1837, received a good academic education, and at an early age engaged in mercantile business in Worcester. Went from there to New York City and entered extensively into business, and has continued to the present time. In June 21, 1876, was married to Ellen, daughter of nelson Chase, Esq. Their residence is the Jumel mansion, on Washington Heights.

Moses Caryl died at Seward, Schoharie Co. march 27, 1869, and Joel Caryl the same year, the 7 th November, at Richmondville, Schoharie Co., universally esteemed.

In the years 1808 and 1810, crossing the county-line going west, the first family was that of Elder Thomas Tallman. He came from England in the time of the Revolution with Burgoyne, a drummer, when about eighteen years of age. After Burgoyne s surrender he remained in the United States, became a Baptist minister, and married many of the sons and daughters of the early settlers lived to an advanced age, and died in Le Roy.

The next resident was Mr. Jennings, the next Noah Adset, next William Barrett, James Lamoune, Elisha E. Freeman s father. After striking Schenevus creek road, Joseph Powers, with a large family, grandfather of Rev. Ingram Powers, opened a hotel in 1813 or 1814, and kept it for quite a number of years. After his decease it was kept by his son, Captain Chester Powers. The estate was settled in the court of chancery, and the farm of 224 acres was purchased by Leonard Caryl.

The next inhabitant was Josiah Hill, and one Bonsteil, who kept a hotel not more than one hundred rods from Powers hotel. The next was Isaac Caryl, owning a one-sixth part of a 1000-acre tract the north and south roads passing through it. The place was known for many years as East Worcester Four Corners. The next resident was Andrew Little, owning another one-sixth part of the McGee patent of 1000 acres.

About this time the father of Jonathan L. Pinney, a merchant in Middlefield, moved in and kept a small store. The next was David Babcock, in early life a seafaring man owned another one-sixth part. Next was Joshua Bigelow, who owned another one-sixth of the tract, kept an inn, was a man of some note. General Edmund B. Bigelow was son of his. The next one-sixth of said tract was owned by Benjamin Delamatter, who kept and inn. The sixth and last of the tract was owned by Amos Starkweather.

The next on the road was John H. Hudson, on the farm now occupied by his son, Edward M. Hudson, or the smaller part of it. Them passing through a piece of woods we come to a place once occupied by Captain Seneca Bigelow, brother to General e. B. Bigelow. Was elected supervisor of the town one or more years, and his brother, General E. B. Bigelow, was elected member of the legislature.

The next in order, as we move down the Schenevus Creek valley, was Colonel Bela Johnson, who kept an inn and owned one of the best farms in the town a man of some notoriety married his second wife, sister of Seneca and General E. B. Bigelow.

The next residence was that of Seth Dickenson, where Bradley Ritton and Samuel Robbins now reside. Next, Francis Dickenson, brother of Seth a blacksmith, had a large family of boys and worked a frm. Nearly opposite lived Jonathan Pickering, a hatter elected justice of the peace. His wife s name was Cass before she was married a relative of Hon. Lewis Cass. Near Pickering s residence lived Captain Samuel Houghton, a shoemaker by trade, a very shrewd man was elected constable and appointed deputy sheriff. At one time he had an execution against some man on South Hill, and in those days executions, for the want thereof, took the body. The man was on the lookout, and when he saw the constable coming would slip into his house and fasten the door. The constable, unwilling to be outdone, noticed a corn-field close by the house one night took a cow-bell, went into the corn-field, rattled the bell. The night was dark, the man came in haste to drive away the cow, stumbled over the constable, and was caught paid the debt, and no doubt felt himself none the wiser for attempting to defraud his neighbor of his honest due.

In the same neighborhood, a little east, lived Dr. Uriah Gregory Bigelow, son of Uriah Bigelow, many years a practicing physician, highly esteemed. Was elected supervisor of the town quite a number of years. He died March 39, 1850.

The next resident was Adam Clark, a farmer and an early settler. Died in Worcester.

Nearly opposite lived Orange Wright, a wheelwright by trade, which he prosecuted, farming at the same time. Was a deacon in the Baptist church for many years a good neighbor. Died Nov. 18, 1837, leaving a widow and a number of children.

The next resident was Calvin Clark s, s shoemaker. He subsequently moved into Delaware county, where he died.

The next resident was Leonard Caryl, whose history has been given.

William Stimson was the next. His farm is now owned and occupied by Adoniram Thompson.

Nearly opposite said Stimpson s residence lived Dr. Uriah Bigelow, born in western Massachusetts, March 9, 1765. He emigrated to Worcester, Feb. 20, 1794, and settled on the farm where he lived until his decease, Aug. 10, 1842. Dr. Bigelow was a man of energy and perseverance. Had a fine water-privilege on his farm, which he improved at an early day, built a grist-mill and a saw-mill did much to sustain the congregational church, of which he was a member one of the principal men, if not the first, that engaged in erecting the Congregational meetinghouse in 1822, which was repaired in 1860. Previous to the building of this house the people met in a large schoolhouse, standing on the corner of the street where Delos Van Hueson s residence now is, for public worship.

Says Leonard Caryl, "I have known four generations of Bigelows, and one or more doctors in each." Dr. Uriah had a son, Dr. Uriah Gregory, mentioned above. He had a son, Uriah G., who settled in Albany, practiced medicine, and died there his son, John succeeded to his practice, which is quite extensive.

The next residence was that of Seth Chase, a tanner by trade. He was colonel of a regiment, supervisor of the town at different times, member of the legislature in 1819 and 1820, and judge of the courts.

The Free and Accepted Masons had a lodge in his house. The meeting of its members was discontinued after the Morgan affair. The colonel was Master, followed by Dr. Joseph Carpenter, Leonard Caryl, and others.

The judge was a man of substance, strict integrity, and was highly esteemed. His son, Colonel Wm. H. Chase, occupies the old homestead. We next come to the residence of Robert Quail, who came from Ireland when young. He owned the farm where Mr. John Tricky now lives. His son, William C. quail, was a man of some note held various town offices. His sons are Luke, William, James, and Atchenson.

Solomon Hartwell lived where John Cook s house now stands. He came from Massachusetts with Uriah Bigelow and Nathaniel Todd, before spoken of. Passing the residences of Major Todd and Solomon Hartwell, we come to the pleasant village of Worcester. Beyond the dwelling of Mr. Briggs, who lived across this creek, was the residence of Daniel Crippen, the fourth son of Silas Crippen, born in Worcester, Feb. 26, 1786. The next resident was John Waterman, a farmer. The next Jacob Stener. Then we come to the town-line dividing Worcester and Maryland. It may not be uninteresting, before leaving the history of Worcester, to give the names of residents of this town who have served as members of assembly in their order of election. The first was Silas Crippen, in 1816 the next, Henry Albert, emigrated from New England at an early day, settled on South Hill, and raised a large family,--Frederick Albert, now seventy-eight years of age, still a resident of the town, is a son of his, born in Worcester, his father was a member in 1817 Seth Chase, before mentioned, in 1819 Schuyler Crippen, son of Silas, before mentioned, in 1831 General Edmund B. Bigelow, in 1837 Leonard Caryl, in 1842 Samuel H. Grant was a member in 1857 James Stewart, grandson of General James Stewart before mentioned, in 1873 William H. Ely, in 1874 and 1875.

That portion of the charlotte Valley lying in Otsego County, called South Worcester, is a fruitful valley, lying between "South Hill" and the Delaware county hills, the Charlotte Creek dividing Worcester from Harpersfield. The country was settled about the time of the Revolution. One James Strain, whose descendants are now quite numerous, purchased land in the Charlotte Valley about the year 1773. Then and until the year 1800 the country was one unbroken wilderness, the residents cutting bridle-paths, or going by marked trees from Catskill to the Charlotte, with occasional settlements like Schoharie on the route.----Strain, Timothy Murphey, Lodowick Becker, and Josiah Darwin were some of the earliest pioneers to the Charlotte. Becker, the grandson of Lodowick, became the most prominent occupant of the valley, and from an untutored Dutch boy became one of the leading lawyers in the State. He accumulated a large fortune. He died leaving six children, who are all active businessmen. His son, George, the oldest, was the counsel for the murderer Ruloff. His other sons are lawyers, and are doing well. In losing Abram Becker, South Worcester lost much of its energy and life, and it is now quietly pursuing its course more as a farming community than as a business centre.

There is a large amount of wealth in the valley for a farming locality. The Michaels, Martins, Robertsons, Beckers, and Darwins are among the most thriving of its citizens.

You are the 5039th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site Since September 24, 2001.


Katso video: Otsego Placebo